Tuesday, April 27, 2010

More lambs and some gross stuff

Last week, #2 had a lamb and I could tell she was not done having lambs, so I hung around.  The first one was a beautiful, mottled girl who we now refer to as Mable (marble without the R, Dear named her).  As I was waiting, I could see she was having difficulty and I was concerned it would be another Gigantor and #2 may not be able to handle delivering it.  I could see a nose and a hoof, but not the other hoof.  It is normally best to let them lamb unassisted, so I waited some more.  A head popped out, but still only one hoof.  I called the vet and he told me I needed to reach inside and grab the other leg and bring it forward.  My arm and hand was clean and I needed to do this pretty quickly, so I removed my ring and slipped my hand inside.  (Note to self, keep elbow length disposable gloves on hand and close by.)  I was up to my mid forearm and I still could not find the leg.  I felt her pushing and with each push I loosened "stuff" and slowly slipped my arm out.  I must have done something right because the lamb came out.  I called the vet to let him know all was well and the lamb looked healthy and to ask him if I should start giving her antibiotics since I had my arm inside her.  He thought that was a good idea and told me the dosage.  So, for three days we gave her an intramuscular shot of penicillin.  She is looking great and so are her two lambs. 
This morning, Dear went to the barn to give Igor and Tae their bottle and almost missed a new little guy.  Yes, another merino ram lamb, ugh!  Princess had a healthy boy.  She looks like she is a very protective mother.  We locked them up in their own pen so they would not be disturbed and we gave her some fresh water.  Water is very important to a ewe that just lambed.  (Do I say, "a ewe that" or "a ewe who"?  Ewes are not people, but they are not things either.)  They are pretty thirsty right away and they need the water to help with their milk flow.  I will check on them again in about 15 minutes.
We also picked up our chickens and turkeys last Thursday.  The chickens are not doing the greatest.  Some of them are very strong, but we have lost a lot of them.  It is pretty annoying.  I will get some pictures of everything later.

No comments: