Monday, December 1, 2008

Up Top in the Barn

This picture really does not do the hay loft any justice. There are 100+ bales of corn stalks, 30 bales of straw, 7 "bales" of pine shavings, and 300 bales of hay. The heat lamps are on the right ready for use. The beach towel has 2 fleece lamb coats in it just in case I need them. We also have a bag of egg layer feed and cracked corn behind me. I love looking up there and seeing the orderly stacks of bales. I do not understand, however, why in the world people think a roll in the hay or sleeping in the hay loft is romantic. It would not be, it is very itchy and dusty.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is nothing to compare to that feeling of peace and contentment when looking at those bales of hay. And the flip side (for me at least) that there is nothing more stressful than thinking that I don't have enough to get my flock through the winter.

ambersmerinos said...

We buy extra hay, this year I think we have about 100 bales extra. We figure it could be cold longer than we think and we may need more, but if we don't we sell it for more than we bought it (if we pay $3 a bale in September, we sell it for $5 a bale in January). If we can not sell it at that price we keep it to use as high quality bedding the following year. I know a lot of people in the area that have to buy more mid-winter only because they do not have the place to store enough to get them through winter. So, our $2 extra is storage costs and hauling and putting up and taking down.