Monday, August 4, 2008

Getting the Barn Ready

After a long winter there is a lot of cleanup that must be done before the next winter. The sheep are housed in the barn most of the winter and we use the deep bedding method. Deep bedding simply means we keep adding bedding on top of the dirty stuff. It gets about knee deep by spring. Some countries make it illegal to house sheep in any other manner. Deep bedding creates a much warmer environment and is actually more sanitary because all of the moisture goes into the lower levels of straw and the top level stays more dry.

Dear already removed all of the bedding early this spring and it has turned into a pretty nice compost and will be tilled into the garden soon. But, we have to remove stantions, build new corals, build a place for the chickens so the pathway stays cleaner, remove siding, and build hay feeders. We will be working on that today, hopefully.

I will have to hang colorful sheets of material on the walls when I take a picture. Everything is monochromatic on this blog. I need more color! I will try and spice it up. I have some picture of colorful projects to post and lots of flowers. I am kidding of course about the material in the barn...gross! Oh and I will definately climb the ladder into the hay loft so you all can see all of the hay Dear and I moved. 4 tons of it!

No comments: