Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Harvest

We have been canning for the past month and there is so much more to go. So far we have Apple Sauce galore, Pickled Watermelon Rind (yuck! but Dear loves it), Rhubarb Strawberry Preserves (from our rhubarb and strawberries), Strawberry Preserves, Hot and Spicy Pickled Asparagus (I love this stuff), Peaches, Spaghetti Sauce, Dried Apples, and Dried Tomatoes. I still have more spaghetti sauce to do, I have to make salsa, can whole tomatoes, more apples sauce and apple pies and dried apples, make chili, more watermelon rind, and I am sure I will find something else. I did not get to the pears in time. Maybe next year. Then I get to start in on making pans and pans of lasagna. I forgot about all of the Zucchini Bread we made too and we will be able to make about 3-4 more loaves.

Having all of that food ready is a huge help. You may think I have loads of time to cook meals every day, but with MNVA, I have many days that I can barely get into the kitchen to clean.

No comments: